Pre-1800 - Home of Ohlone Indians
1776 - Spanish Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza exploration started the Spanish arrival
1822 –Arguello family land grant re-affirmed by Mexican government after independence from Spain
1840’s- Influx of Americans migrated westward, occupying Arguello’s land
1848 - California Gold Rush – Redwood City became an industrial town (logging, tanning, shipping)
1853- Mezesville Period – Lawyer Mezes established Arguello’s clear land title and was paid in property including what is now downtown Redwood City.
1854- Town of Mezesville survey completed, which included most of downtown Redwood City; Simon Mezes donated two blocks to Redwood City for plazas (one of the blocks became known as “Mezes Plaza”, and later became “Mezes Park”). The other, later known as California Square, is now occupied by part of the San Mateo County Government Center complex
1856 - Consolidation Act – Created City and County of San Francisco and created San Mateo County. Redwood City selected to be County seat because of large business base, after much competition.
1856 – Mezes donated two blocks for public use, California Square Park (now San Mateo County Hall of Justice) and Mezes Park.
1861 – Volunteer firefighter program launched
1862 – First firehouse built on Main Street
1863 – Railroad arrived though Redwood City, leading to the first commuters
1865 – First Redwood City library opened downtown, sharing a building with the San Mateo County Times-Gazette newspaper downtown
1867 – City of Redwood City files for incorporation
1869 - First China Camp in San Mateo County established in Redwood City for Chinese shrimp fishermen
1874- Frank’s Tannery opened (operated on Redwood Creek until 1959).
Late 1870s- Morgan Oyster Company imported live Eastern oysters to Bay water off Redwood Peninsula
1880 – Census determined population at 1,382
1887 – Redwood City held first Independence Day Parade
1889 – Redwood City’s first official City Librarian James Van Court appointed
1889 – City established first official fire department
1891 - President Benjamin Harrison visited by train.
1895 – Sequoia High School established as a feeder school for Stanford University
1896 – Alhambra Theater opened
1900 – RWC Ordinance 30 established free public municipal library service supported by $628/year in special taxes
1904 – City received $10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie to build the new Downtown Library
1905-- New Downtown Library opened
1906 – Earthquake shocked Bay Area and led to development west of El Camino Real as people fled the city and were encouraged to locate in Redwood City; Received another $6,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie to rebuild destroyed the Downtown Library after the earthquake.
1907 – Rebuilt Downtown Library opened
1907- Japanese immigrant brothers Eikichi and Sadakusi Enomoto became among first recorded growers of Chrysanthemums
1908 - City Council adopted ordinance regulating the liquor trade
1909 – Women’s Club established
1910 – Courthouse rebuilt and rededicated (after earthquake)
1911 - Women got the right to vote, and were appointed to civic bodies like Parks Commission and Board of Health
1912 – First City Hall opened
1913 Raker Act established (led to protected Hetch Hetchy water system)
1915 – City appointed first Fire Chief and orders first motorized fire engine
1916 - Lynch Field (Redwood City's airport) founded by Silas Christofferson. Amelia Earhart and Eddie Rickenbacher both touched down there.
1918 - Prohibition Era- Redwood City Trustees passed the ordinance to close all saloons in Redwood City.
1920 – Firehouse on Middlefield Road built
1921 – Wave of Spanish and Portuguese immigrants settled in Redwood City.
1923 – Sequoia High School’s main school building and historic Argo Bell tower built
1924 - Pacific Portland Cement erected its first plant in Redwood City Port; Building boom in Redwood City prompted Town Trustees to establish a Planning Commission
1926 – Redwood City earned “Climate Best By Government Test” designation
1926- Chamber of Commerce proclaimed Redwood City the Chrysanthemum Center of the World
1928 - Leslie Salt Company moved operations to Redwood City for salt brine evaporation areas
1928 - Veterans Building was moved into Mezes Plaza block
1929 - The Sequoia Theater opened (renamed Fox Theatre in 1950s)
1930- Booming agricultural floral period with Japanese flower growers and greenhouses; San Francisco purchased Mills Field for SFO and shortly thereafter aviation died in Redwood City
1934 - Hawes Park was developed
1935 - Lights were added to Hawes Park, making it the first lit athletic field in Redwood City (for softball)
1936 - Voters approved amendment to City charter to establish a Port Department.
1937 - Alfred “Red” Morton became first City Recreation Director in July
1938 – City passed a bond to build a new downtown library building at Jefferson & Middlefield (current City Hall site)
1939 - Dedicated a new City Hall and downtown library (paid for with funds from Public Works Administration); City’s Park and Recreation Commission established; Cooperated with Sequoia High School to use its gym and pool for activities, creating the first such program in California; Fleishman Park was developed and named in honor of the first Redwood City police officer killed in the line of duty
12-7-1941 – Pearl Harbor
12-15-1941 Redwood City Council passed a resolution urging tolerance toward American-born citizens of Japanese, German and Italian ancestry.
1942 - Postwar plans included the development of a 30 acre park – which is now Red Morton Park (then called Community Park)
1944 - City passed $988,000 bond measure for postwar construction and included plans for “better streets and sewers, a branch library and parks and recreation improvements”
1948 - New Recreation Center (old Red Morton Community Center) completed. Dedicated on June 13.
1946 - Stafford Park was developed
1951 - Stulsaft Park was developed
1956 - Veterans Memorial Senior Center built
1956 - San Francisco 49ers made Community Park their home practice facility
1958 - Palm Park dedicated
1959 - Redwood Shores annexed to Redwood City after being rejected by Belmont and San Carlos; Schaberg Library opened, funded by a bequest in the will of Hannah Schaberg, widow of former County Clerk Herman W. Schaberg
1961 – Fire Department Centennial celebrated
1963 - Dove Beeger Park dedicated
1964 –City Council approves creation of General Improvement District to fund capital improvement projects in Redwood Shores, including development of land, lagoons, beaches, streets, and water systems.
1965 - Newly expanded 49er building named the Morabito Memorial Field House
1966 - Spinas Park dedicated
1967 - City’s Recreation Department celebrated its 13th anniversary by opening the Community Activities Building; old Recreation Center was renamed in Red Morton’s honor; Hoover Pool built
1968 – Marine World opened, built same time as first phase of Redwood Peninsula development
1970 - Marlin Park opened; Peninsula Library System cooperative was formed under the leadership of Redwood City Library Director Karl Vollmayer
1973 – Lathrop House placed on National Register of Historic Places
1974 – Fair Oaks Community Center opened (Fair Oaks Library opened inside); Redwood City Public Library gained access to Dialog, an online database of academic journal articles
1976 - First female officer hired at Redwood City Police Department; Redwood City renamed a downtown plaza, Arguello Plaza, in honor of Arguello family.
1977 – Commercial district consisting of the Diller-Chamberlain Store, Bank of San Mateo County, Fitzpatrick Building and the San Mateo County Building and Loan Association placed on National Register of Historic Places; San Mateo County Courthouse (now San Mateo County History Museum) placed on National Register of Historic Places
1978 - Dolphin and Mariner Parks were completed
1981 - Garrett Park dedicated
1982 - Hoover Park built from agreement with School District
1982 – Citizens’ referendum defeated South Shores Project to build on westerly portion of Bair Island
1983 – Union Cemetery placed on National Register of Historic Places
1984 - $8.4 million bond passed to remodel Fire Station No. 1 into the new Redwood City Downtown Library
1986 – Marine World / Africa USA moved to Vallejo. Property later developed in 1989 as Oracle moved in
1987 – Project READ literacy program launched; Marshall Street Firehouse opened
1988 – New Redwood City Downtown Library opened
1988 – Redwood Shores had 2,400 housing units and population of more than 7,000
1992 – Redwood City Public Library awarded Library Journal’s “Library of the Year” award
1992 – Sequoia Station opened
1994 – Fox Theatre placed on National Register of Historic Places
1995 - Sequoia High School placed on National Register of Historic Places; Fair Oaks Library moved to its current location in the County Human Services Agency building
1997 – New City Hall building opened in current location
1997 – Remaining portion of Bair Island land sold to Peninsula Open Space Trust. Entire property between Steinberger Slough and Redwood Creek became protected wildlife habitat
1997 – Sandpiper Elementary School and Community Center opened in Redwood Shores
1998 – Opened Fire Station #20 in Redwood Shores
1999 - San Mateo County History Museum opened in old Courthouse
2000- Census determined Redwood City’s population at 75,402 people
2002 – 2003 – Community-building activities first offered by City Manager’s Department including PACT – Partnership Academy for Community Teamwork
2003 – Red Morton Skate Park dedicated (created with active community participation)
2005 – Junior Fire Academy program started
2006 – Downtown cinema opened as part of the Cinema Project
2006- Courthouse Square and façade restoration completed
2007 – Redwood City’s Downtown Precise Plan launched, winning national acclaim
2007 – Park and Recreation moves “Downtown Live” concert series from City Plaza to Courthouse Square; Summer in the City brought movies, concerts and events to downtown, launching the Square
2008 – Redwood Shores Branch Library opened
2010 –Women’s Club Centennial Preserve Park opened
2011 – Redwood City’s Downtown Precise Plan updated with community input
2012 – Redwood City General Plan receives Outstanding Achievement Award from American Planning Association
2013 – Mezes Park renovated
2015 - Main Street Dog Agility Park opened; John Offermann House and John Dielmann House placed on the National Register of Historic Places